My precious NiNi-
One year ago today, 2 timid women handed me a precious bundle in the meeting room for Henan Province's Adoption Affairs. It was a cold, snowy, windy morning, and you were bundled in layers of warm, clean clothes. Your ayis had bathed you, and dressed you in the best they had to offer, and there were tears in their eyes when they had to say good-bye to you. I was so thrilled to finally hold you in my arms, after staring at little pictures for 4 1/2 months. I was also terrified, because you were SO sick, so fragile, so tiny...and I didn't know HOW I was going to keep you alive and get you to the U.S.
You were sleeping when you were handed to me. I rocked you slowly, talking quietly to you. When you awoke, you stared at me for a moment, then sighed and snuggled against me. THAT was an incredible moment, because it felt like you trusted me. I gave you the first bottle on the bus; it stressed you terribly to suck on the bottle- you became more purple, breathing faster and more labored...but you drank 2 or 3 ounces of formula for me.
You mourned the first night in the hotel room. I had you propped up on pillows, and you woke up every hour or so, looked around you, and made the saddest sounds I have ever heard. You didn't cry, just made whimpering, scared, confused sounds...your breathing was labored, so I eventually slept sitting up with you on my shoulder, which seemed to help you breathe easier and rest. By morning, you stopped making those little sounds, and seemed ready to engage with your new family. :-)
This was the start of our incredible first year together!







No comments:
Post a Comment