Today was Sacramento's Chinatown Culture Fair. I have gone the past 2 years, and found it very interesting. I took NiNi, and she was just THRILLED with it!! She was animated in a way I haven't seen before...she just glowed. She reached out and touched the chinese women's faces, let them touch her, even considered letting one of the chinese men hold her. She smiled all afternoon (even without a nap!), "danced" on my lap to the music, watched the performances intently, and clapped for them after. It was just amazing, watching her soak up and connect with her culture. Many people approached me, saying how beautiful my daughter is, and saying Hi or Ni Hao...she would smile at that! It was also bittersweet for me to watch: I know, I gave her a life and a family that she wouldn't have otherwise had, but I felt like I have robbed her of part of her identity, taken something vital away that I can't replace or fix.
NiNi was dressed in one of her silk outfits from China, and many older people approved of that. :-) She looked adorable, but then she ALWAYS does! There is a gift shop in Chinatown, and I visit it every time I am in Chinatown. The owner is a lovely lady, and we've chatted quite a bit the past few years...she knew I was waiting for a baby from China. I walked thru the door to her shop with NiNi, and she stopped what she was doing, said "Wow, you are a mom!!", and came over to hug me. She gave NiNi a stuffed tiger since it is the year of the tiger this year. NiNi just loves it, hugs it and "pets" it every day. :-) What a sweet reminder of a fabulous day!







No comments:
Post a Comment