Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Wanted Child

"By adopting a child and helping them reach their potential, they help us reach ours. An adopted child is not an unwanted child; to the contrary. They are a child who was searched for, prayed for, cried for, begged for; received by arms that ached, making empty hearts full. Love is meant to be shared." -Author unknown

I came across this quote on another China adoption blog this a.m. and it struck a chord with me. My child is DEFINITELY a wanted child...in fact, I firmly believe she was also wanted by her birthmother. NiNi was parented for over 2 months before being abandoned. She was not "failure to thrive" as so many of the special needs kiddos are. Someone took a GREAT risk to leave her in a very safe spot, giving her the greatest chance of survival- in a hospital, outside a room where a doctor was performing a procedure! Her ayis at the orphanage did the best they could for her with their meager resources; they cried on Gotcha Day when they had to leave. They had bathed her that morning, powdered her, dressed her in a brand new outfit, the best that they had. They brought me formula, a bottle, powder, and offered me a bag of clothes from the orphanage for her, in case I didn't have tiny enough clothes for her! Such generosity in the middle of poverty was humbling. They WANTED this child to survive, to do well. All the chinese administrators involved in expediting NiNi's file wanted her to survive, to have a life and a family. They did not have to do anything, certainly did not have to rush anything...but they did. NiNi was registered, matched, and adopted in a 4 month time span- almost unheard of! :-) And I certainly wanted NiNi; I had prayed, hoped, waited for a child for years...and once I saw her little picture, I KNEW that she was my daughter! I held my breath and lived in prayer during the time from referral to Gotcha Day, because I knew there was a good chance she could die during the wait. But God is merciful, and bountiful, and He blessed me greatly with this MUCH-LOVED, MUCH-WANTED child. She is the joy of my life, and I think that every day.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful testimony to God's grace. She was chosen and God know what mother would do the best job. He has a special plan for this little girl and she will be greatly blessed....

    I have 4 special Asian Blessings and I too was adopted. My birth mother unfortunately did not see my life as precious and tried to have me aborted, but God had a greater plan and predestined me into HIS FAMILY so i too could care for and teach them about His love for them, when others may have thougth less of them. NiNi will know this too :-)
    God Bless you for waiting on His call.
    Lavonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the opening quote - I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" it and post it on my blog! Like NiNi, my Abigail was found in a hospital. No waiting for hours in a public place, just a few moments until the elevator doors opened and someone saw here there. I always tell people that my daughter's birthmother was kind and smart. And God bless the nannies! They do the best they can with the little they have. Abigail was the last baby out of the SWI (there was a newly opened CWI). The nannies loved her and kept her with them until I arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strikes a cord with me, too! Such a wonderful post and so glad you wrote this. It is very clear that your precious NiNi is (and always was!) much loved and much wanted! I so hope you have been able to send updated photos to her nannies... they would MELT in awe of how much she has blossomed.

    Seriously BLOSSOMED!! Those photos of her turning 18mos just blew me away. The transformation of the little girl that you brought home, clinging and so desperately holding onto life. God is GOOD! Praising Him for seeing her through so many trials, and for blessing her with a second chance at life with such a wonderful mama! You are blessed to have eachother!! <><

    love and hugs,
    ~ Tanya

    ReplyDelete