Thursday, November 4, 2010

M.I.N.D. Institute eval



Today was NiNi's follow-up appt with the kidney doctor. The doctor feels she is doing well, and will probably discharge her from their service in 6 months' time if there are no new developments. :-) Yeah!! My girl is now 18#!! and 28 3/4"! She grew an inch and gained 1#, 2oz in the past 6 weeks!! wow! :-)

NiNi also had her eval appt. with the MIND Institute @ UCD. I wasn't sure what to expect, since no one had really explained the Institute to me. Apparently, they evaluate SN kiddos and offer different services if needed. They treat a range of SN, from very mild to severe. There were several residents behind the 1-way glass, observing the eval...NiNi wasn't fooled- she kept waving to the glass like she could see the other side! And when someone sneezed at one point, she was REALLY looking for the mystery people! ha! It's funny, even though I know she is still delayed, and she has made great strides in just a few months, it was still difficult to hear how delayed she is. She ranked at 12-14 months for cognitive/verbal skills, so that is pretty good; fine motor, 11 months; and gross motor, 9 months. She will continue PT for the forseeable future, and MIND is ordering more OT for her, to assist with fine motor and the tactile defensiveness she still shows. They also made a referral to the feeding clinic, for help with getting NiNi to eat people food. She is open to trying stuff at daycare, but not at home...and yogurt can't be the mainstay of her meals!!

All in all, this was a good day...I showed the staff at the MIND Institute some of the early photos of NiNi, including Gotcha Day, and they couldn't believe NiNi is the same child. :-) She is thriving and catching up, and I am so grateful for that!

6 comments:

  1. So much to be thankful for! I will continue to pray for NiNi and her development...she has already come so far!!

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your precious girl and God bless!!! <><

    love,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear she is doing so well!
    Bonnie, could you please email me at sweetiee1@gmail.com
    Would love to talk to you about our experiences with some of the developmental delays we went through as well. We were also in a group that went to China right after you did. Had Yisha as our guide and she remembered you and NiNi.

    Kim O

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been on vacation for 3 months so haven't been able to check your site until today. Wow! Such great pictures & great news about NiNi. She is such a beautiful little girl! I am so happy for you. Thanks for keeping us updated on NiNi. I enjoy hearing about her. God Bless you all!
    Roxanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is doing SO amazing Bonnie - so happy for you guys - happy, happy holidays to you both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly amazing. So glad NiNi is doing so well!!!! Wishing you both a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NiNi is doing so well compared to that little pipsqueak I met back in April at Stanford! She couldn't even hold her neck up really and look at all she can do now...in just over 6 months. I'm not worried at all about her development. She'll get there! Superstar!

    ReplyDelete