Monday, May 10, 2010

Update on NiNi

Hello to all! We have been home for almost 3 weeks...and life is beginning to feel semi-normal. The first 10 days were ROUGH. NiNi wouldn't sleep, cried inconsolably for 72 hrs, and I was past-exhausted...then I figured out she was having withdrawal symptoms! The taper schedule she was on was just too fast for her...so we adjusted her meds (after talking to the docs), and she was a different kiddo. The sleep thing has improved. She would just panic upon awaking, shrill screams and tears...gut-wrenching to watch...I have to think it has something to do with being moved around 8 times BEFORE I received her...never knowing WHERE she would wake up. Now she will nap and sleep in her crib, which is a big help.

She has to be fed every 3 hrs...she isn't on the height or weight charts yet..but, she HAS gained 2#! :-) and grown 1.5 inches!! Her pediatrician is impressed! She is filling out a little, doesn't look sickly anymore. We started cereal this week, NiNi isn't really impressed with that just yet.

Her first cardiology appt went well. The echo showed that the Right ventricle is already smaller than the Left! So her heart is remodeling nicely. She still has pulmonary hypertension (high lung pressures), which is why she is on oxygen at home...the hope is that the lung pressures will decrease, and she will tolerate being off oxygen. If that doesn't happen, we will switch to meds so she doesn't have to be tethered to a tank all the time. Over the next few months, we will be weaning the lasix and ativan...she finished methadone this weekend, and is tolerating it okay so far.

We saw the kidney docs also; they feel that the last urinary infection was a contamination, since NiNi was asymptomatic...so she doesn't have to be on long-term antibiotics anymore!! Yeah! They will follow her for a while, just to be sure...but feel pretty confident that she will be okay. Her retention seems to be resolving on its own, too...we had wondered if it was a learned response from the orphanage. Not only are the babies taught to void on command, they only got diaper changes on a schedule...so you would learn quickly to hold it for as long as possible. Now that she feels confident that I will keep her dry, she voids regularly, in good amounts...that will also decrease the likelihood of another infection.

Early Intervention made contact this past week, also...yep, nothing but appointments and contacts the past 3 weeks...they will be coming to see NiNi in another month or so, to start physical therapy and whatever else she needs to help her catch up. She can hold her head up much better now, but still bobbles after a while. She is VERY flexible, lying on her back, but when upright, those legs don't have tone/resistance. She spent time on her tummy today, for the first time. Initially, she was thrilled, but wore out quickly. :-)

She cut her first tooth on Saturday! :-) She's been drooling and chewing on EVERYTHING for a few weeks, but the doc didn't think she'd actually get teeth for a few more months. Go Baby!

It is still incredible to me that this precious baby girl is MINE! She is such an amazing little person, and watching her personality unfold is just fabulous. She is SO sweet; she smiles all the time, even in her sleep. She wrinkles her little nose up when she smiles, and wiggles and moves all 4 limbs. She is babbling, and was singing in the car yesterday. She loves to cuddle, and requires a lot of snuggle-time. She maintains good eye contact, and pats my face with her little hands...Yep, I'm totally in love with this kiddo!! :-)

My first mother's day was quiet and lovely. Baby napped quite a bit (teething is hard work), so I had the opportunity to nap also! I am still exhausted, and the 3 hour feeding schedule doesn't allow for much sleep...

I will post some pictures soon. Y'all won't believe the difference a couple of months can make.
To everyone who has followed this journey, and kept us in prayers- thank you!! I think this has truly shown the power of prayer. I am SO glad to be home, so grateful to have a daughter that is pink and healing and happy and thriving...

Also, a BIG thank you to Gina, for her blogging these past 2 months. I truly appreciate all your work, it turned out great! :-)

16 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that NiNi is progressing so well! You have my family's prayers that everything continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Can't wait to see the updated pics! Continued prayers and lots of cyber hugs to you and NiNi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy to hear that you and Nini are doing well! We pray that things continue to improve and that you both get plenty of good rest and remain healthy. Your journey is full of love and hope... very inspiring and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thrilled to hear from you and that everything is going so well. Will continue sending tons of good thoughts and wishes your way! Isn't love grand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cyber hugs to you and baby NiNi. Thrilled to hear the update!! Enjoy the cuddle time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very glad to hear of the wonderful progress! What a great mother's day it was for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the update! We have been following your journey and have been praying for baby Nini. Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH!!!!! I am so glad to hear that things are going so well! I cannot wait to see pictures!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bonnie,

    Have enjoyed following your journey. Nini is just the cutest little girl I've seen! So glad she is getting better each day. Our adopted daughter from China also has PH and we see Dr. Feinstein at LPCH. Just wondering if that's who you are seeing for Nini's PH since she was hospitalized there. They are great there. We've been under their care for 3 years now. Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions or want more PH information or just want to talk with another mom in who's been in the same position. I know you are a nurse, so already know a lot about it, but I'm here if you ever want to just talk.
    My e-mail: tt6lennard@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad things are going great!! We are a CCAI family too and traveled this past Aug. I would so love to do SN and and heart baby. You are a wonderful person and your baby is so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful to hear of beautiful NiNi's progress. Will be great to see new pics!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thrilled to see your update and hear the great news. Happy Mother's Day and can't wait to see all the wonderful pictures as NiNi grows and bonds with you.
    Praise God for His Blessings.
    Lavonne - mom of 4 sn China Blessings (incL Heart)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, Bonnie, for keepting us updated on Baby NiNi. She is such a beautiful baby & you are so fortunate to be able to have her.
    I am glad your 1st Mother's Day went well & I wish you many, many more with Baby NiNi.
    Love, hugs, & prayers in Christ,
    Roxanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray Bonnie - great update! So glad to hear things are slowly reaching some kind of "normal" for you guys. Can't wait to see some updated photos of your baby girl. I got my referral a couple weeks ago - exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOOHOO! So glad to hear all the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for the update! I'm SO happy she's doing so well. She will continue to be in our family's prayers!

    ReplyDelete